Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 12, 2001

Today was a good day


I was hoping to wake up fresh and new on September 11 recovering from a horrible nightmare I had, but I woke up to realize that the tragedy was real.  Regardless of what happened yesterday today was a good day because I in fact woke up.


The fear of other attacks hung in the air along with the dust and ash from burning fires.  I promise you that I won’t let this fear immobilize me.  Oh no dear friend I’ve saved immobilization for much scarier fears like telling the girl I really like how I feel about her and also for trying new jokes on stage.   However I wasn’t confronted with any of these things so today was a good day.


Yesterday will always claim a vivid spot in my imagination.  However it won’t be there alone.  It will reside in the basement of my memory underneath the twin towers (yes they still exist but not of metal and glass) of all the laughs and good times I have experienced.  I’ll remember today as a good day.


Just some of my observances I want to make.


I think yesterday was horrific but I’m glad it’s over.


I learned never ever wear cowboy boots to work.  However if you have a choice to go back to your desk and change into sneakers while a building is collapsing, then you should appreciate everything
beautiful about cowboy boots.

I learned to love 100 feet.  It doesn’t sound like much of an area but it was the distance between destruction and myself.  100 feet can sometimes be miles and miles.


I expect to be big some day, but no matter how successful I become I won’t be as important or anonymously terrific as the rescue workers.  They have been working non-stop for almost two days with all disregard for their own endurance levels just in the remote chance they can make the death toll smaller. 


Names like Bush, bin Laden, and Giuliani will be around for awhile.  I say we learn the names of all those men and women who haven’t given up and won’t until they are commanded to.  


I’m not going to hate every Arab I see just because he/she might resemble or be of the same faith (although not as maniacally zealous) as the perpetrators of this deadly act.  I think instead I shall hate the co-worker who won’t let me make one friggin’ copy until he/she is done printing War and Peace.  Which by the way they should come in early to do.  Well I’ll probably hate the attendant behind the counter at the movie theater too.  How are you going to charge me $3.50 for a drink that will cause me to miss parts of the movie I paid $10 to see?


I don’t have any say so in the retaliation that will come about because of this.  But you know what? It’s not so much on my mind.  This morning I got confirmation that all my friends are okay.  Plus
I’ve been overwhelmed with so much concern and sympathy.

For others, and myself the outpouring of love was PHENOMENAL.


Yesterday we cried.  Tomorrow or hopefully the day after we will laugh.  Whether it was physical, by
phone, or by e-mail, on September 12 we took time to embrace each other in a big, ole bear hug of love.

Yep, today was a good day!


I love you all,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment

This month's comedy shows