Monday, February 28, 2011

Unemployment and other gobbledy gook

I'm beginning to type this blog when I hear my wife, hereafter known as "Flounder" ask, "so you had a vaginal delivery . . ." in a conversational manner.  This of course is not where I'm going at all with my first blog post, but it just seems like a very odd question.


The reader (that's you) should know that my wife is processing an evaluation and I suppose that is one of the questions that is asked.  My guess is that the way a baby is born can affect his/her future physical well-being.  On a side note, my son needed a cesarean delivery and because he's a c-section baby every one else is described as a vaginal delivery (minus the other c-section babies).  My vague point being that the c-section birth injected the word "vagina/vaginal" way too much into my life.  Generally the word I dislike most is "hate" but vaginal runs a close second.  I'll stop now or this could be a lengthy tangent on the v-word, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've been back in the United States over three months and I am still unemployed.  It is very frustrating for me and even more so for Flounder.  Hopefully my son, hereafter known as "Aloysius," is pretty excited that I'm a regular fixture 24/7.  I am convinced that I will be employed soon by a university in their financial aid department, but in the New York City timescale "soon" means anywhere from four to eight weeks.

Adding to unemployment's annoyance factor is that many companies utilize online technology.  I'm sure this is efficient and inexpensive for the company, but it is horrid for the job-seeker.  Basically, the job-seeker (that's me) finds a job on the company's website, applies to said job, creates a profile and password to continue the application process . . . let's just stop for a moment shall we . . . at what point will we as humans say "you know what? I don't think there are enough logins and passwords in the world.  Can we please add more?  I must be a hacker's dream because after my 30th login and password (created at a time in space that Justin Bieber wasn't even born yet--and no we cannot retroactively erase my 30th login and password in hopes of making the "Never say Never" star disappear) I just started using the same login and password.  I know, I know, how stupid and unsafe of me.  Well you know what?  Take my identity!  My credit card is maxed out and I don't have a job.  What does the hacker think he's going to do?  Perhaps in a bizarro world, I'll be hacked by a hacker-with-a-conscience who creates profiles for me at black hole career websites.

In other news, I just finished my 2011 New Year's resolutions.  No, getting rid of procrastination was not one of them.  The good news is that I will not have broken my New Year's goals before the end of January.  Heck, even if I break one of them next week I'm a full quarter into the year with a resolution which is pretty solid, eh?  As is the case with the last three years, I have placed a high priority on learning Spanish.  Of course the highest priority this year is beginning a career--I would like my next job choice to be the final or second final job I have.  You may have guessed that writing was one of the goals.  Not only a blog, but I hope to finish a novel or screenplay by the end of the year.

Quote of the month:
"Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself" Edgar Allan Poe

I was going to write another few whimsical and poignant paragraphs on the Oscars yesterday, but I'm sure I've already lost my readers so I will end this initial post, hope for the best, and head off to bed.

Fare thee well,
Hairpin

3 comments:

  1. Love that you are sharing your writing...you are so talented my Hairpin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know I worked in financial aid for, well, a LONG time? Good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete

This month's comedy shows